Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

Building permits shall be issued only for structures located within recorded plats except as provided in this chapter.

(1) Building permits may be issued in unplatted areas, only in the following cases:

(a) Remodeling of an existing building which conforms to the then current zoning;

(b) Construction of a temporary structure.

(2) No building permit, or other development permit, shall be issued for any lot, tract or parcel of land divided in violation of Chapter 58.17 RCW or the platting ordinances and regulations of the city. No building permit, or other development permit, shall be issued for any unplatted property not otherwise permitted to be issued a building permit, unless the city council finds that the public interest will not be adversely affected by the issuance of such a permit. The standards to determine if the public interest will be adversely affected includes but is not limited to consideration of the installation or existence of adequate sewer and water, conformance to lot size requirements, existence or requirement of street, sidewalk and curb improvements, all as respects the proposed building site and the surrounding area. The council may condition the issuance of a building permit on unplatted land on the installation or completion of such utility, street and sidewalk improvements as the council upon recommendation of staff shall deem appropriate. The council shall make the grant of the privilege to build on unplatted land personal to the applicant and such privilege shall expire if a building permit is not obtained within 30 days of the adoption of the resolution provided for herein. The council shall only direct the issuance of such a permit by a resolution of the council.

(3) Building permits shall not be issued for any structure located within a preliminary plat except for building permits requested by the Grant County housing authority, or other public housing authority authorized by law to operate or provide public housing within the city, for housing units where such request shall be accompanied by security in a form acceptable to the city attorney equal to the engineer’s estimate of the cost of installation of the streets, gutters, sidewalks, street lights, water and sewer. Any buildings constructed pursuant to permits issued under this exception shall not be permitted to be occupied nor shall a certificate of occupancy issue until all public improvements are constructed and accepted by the city. (Ord. 388 § 1, 2007)