6.04.050 Kennel license required.
No person, group of persons, or business entity shall own, keep, or harbor more than two dogs or three cats or any combination thereof of more than six months of age or older or engage in the commercial business of breeding, buying, selling, trading, training or boarding cats or dogs or both cats and dogs without having obtained a kennel license from the city clerk or his or her designee.
(1) The kennel license shall expire on the thirty-first day of December succeeding the date of the issuance thereof. The time fixed for the issuing of a license shall commence on the first day of January of each year and no license shall be issued to expire at any other time than that date. The license fee shall be paid in full for any year or part thereof.
(2) The yearly fee for licensing a kennel shall be established by council resolution which shall be the only business license fee the city requires of kennel owners.
(3) This section shall not apply to and will not be construed to require a kennel license for a licensed veterinarian to operate an animal clinic or hospital.
(4) This section shall not apply to and will not be construed to require a kennel license for any pet shop which sells animals of less than six months of age.
(5) Kennel licenses shall not be issued for use in areas zoned R-1, R-2 and R-3. (Ord. 545 § 2, 2019)